Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Home is where the heat is.

No, I didn't spell that wrong. We have a sauna at my house and with how FREAKIN' COLD it's been lately, I have been taking one every day. It's the only way I can really warm up. I mean, it got to like, -50 degrees in Wyoming, but it's not humid--if you're bundled up, you don't really feel it. Here, it's the exact opposite. When it's -30 degrees, it feels like it no matter what you wrap yourself up in.

I'm home. I'm all done with graduate school classes and now just have my two externships and thesis defense before I am officially graduated. CRAZY. I have to admit, I'm really missing Wyoming. That was to be expected though, I suppose. One thing I will say is that it has been a chore fitting an apartment-full of stuff into my small bedroom, but I have somewhat succeeded. Yes, there are books on books on books and we had to buy some new storage shelves, but we figured it out. My friend Shell's sister helped us unpack the car when we got back to my house in Michigan and her comment on the number of books we had to unload--which was drastically reduced as I had shipped eight boxes home already--was, "Geeze, this is like unpacking Rorie Gilmore's car." I took it as a compliment :).

Home has been nice so far. I got to see pretty much all of my family, eat delicious food, relax, spend time with my bestest friends, and spend a lot of time in the car. Like, a lot. My travels over the last three weeks have been as follows:

Laramie > Marquette.
Marquette > Soo.
Soo > Petoskey.
Petoskey > Detroit.
Detroit > Green Bay (via Chicago).
Green Bay > Marquette.
Marquette > Soo.
Soo > Lansing.
Lansing > Kalamazoo.
Kalamazoo > Marquette.

Whew. I think that's it. It's a good thing I love car trips!

Anyways, I am beginning my externship at an early developmental center this week. It was supposed to begin on Monday, but with the "Polar Vortex" sweeping through the nation, we have had triple cold days. I'm hoping to begin on Thursday. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra vacation time. I'm just getting a little bit stir crazy being in the house so much. Now that my room is all organized, I really don't have much to do. Maybe I'll start studying for my board exam...... HA. No, that can wait. Also! I found out that other than IFSP/IEP meetings or professional seminars I am able to wear jeans and casual shirts to work! Seeing as we are on the floor with preschoolers all day, this makes sense. I'm still excited, though.

As I'm no longer out West I'm not sure what kind of updates/posts I'll be doing, or how often I'll be doing them. It will most likely be little stories about my preschoolers and where I'm at with finishing school and such. Hopefully it will pick up more once I begin the job hunt, and then start said job! (Preview: I'll likely be looking down South or on the East Coast). Wish me luck!

Love, y'all!

1 comment: